Nov 30, 2011

piles of books


Piles of books...

I'm surrounded by them...

No room in our apartment without one...

Do I care?

No. Not really.

To say it differently: I love it! I simply love to be surrounded by books. Every time I look at the books I feel a tiny but pleasant twinge of anticipation. Sooner or later I will have to time to read all those books and that's what I'm looking forward to. Event now when simply talking about it I am excited.


I know that my love for books is a tiny bit crazy... but that's actually my smallest problem ;) 
So just that you know how crazy, here comes a list with some facts about me and books:

1. I decided to have a book with me wherever I go thanks to Rory Gilmore (I'm serious here). I even carry one with me when I'm hanging with friends. just in case!

2. I love the feeling of being completely taken in by a book. When the tears of joy and sorrow wet your cheeks. When you laugh out loud in the middle of a crowd. And when you shout at the pages in anger. That's the spirit!

3. I'm jealous of Belle from Beauty and the Beast because she can read while walking. I certainly haven't mastered that skill yet.

4. I don't like to borrow other people's books the same way I don't like other people borrowing mine.

5. I can't reread a book because if I spend time reading books I've already read I will never be able to read all the things I want to read before I die.

6. Whenever I go to a giant bookstore I feel like a five-year old on christmas.

7. Nothing smells better than the unopened pages of a new book.

8. I always judge a book by its cover. And I don't understand how there can be so many books around with ugly covers.

9. I was the kind of kid that got in trouble for reading past my bedtime. Always under the blanket and with a pocket lamp.

10. And one more: The fact that there are still great books out there gives me hope for the human race!


That's the pile of books right next to my bed. The bottom one, Paul Hoffman's "The Left Hand of God", I've already finished. The title and the blurb (and the cover of course) took my in right away... the story however didn't. I wouldn't exactly recommend it. 

The two books by Glenda Larke are part of the "Stormlord"-trilogy. Reading the first one was really a pleasure. Only problem with these two following ones: the setting is almost always a desert. Seriously, I can't read that when it only 5°C outside. They will have to wait till summer.

I won't say a word about Twilight... haha, I might lose some friends if I do! So let's rather talk about George R. R. Martin's  "A Game of Thrones". That book is my read at the time and although I'm only about 100 pages into the book I've already grown seriously attached to the characters. I started watching the series on television  as well(which by the way is great), but holding that thick and heavy book in my hands simply makes happy.


A second pile of books stacks some more books I wanna read. Three of them are historical fiction about the Roman Empire... I will surely enjoy them. And as soon as it starts to snow (hey, snow, where are you?!) I will start reading the two crime stories by Jo Nesbo.



And last but not least: my University books. Not that I don't like them, but they're just not that much fun as the "leisure time"-books. However, I have to admit that I enjoyed reading James Hogg's "Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner". As strange as it might be, it's a fantastic read! Just like Scott... a classic! 

And should you be a student of English literature just like me (haha, I'm sure there aren't that many around), you'll know how helpful the Norton Anthologies can be. And so is this one on theory and criticism. 

So get your noses back into your books and enjoy the ink-written words!

xoxo your book-lover linskaya


No comments:

Post a Comment